Home Gallery Sales and Commissions About Contact Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Steven Assael MSUM Demonstration

        As I mentioned in previous posts, Minnesota State University hosted an Artist Symposium this week, October 18th-20th. There were many visiting artists that are known nationally. The artist of interest for me was figurative artist Steven Assael. He is a New York native artist that is represented at the Forum Gallery in New York city, and has exhibitions in many other national galleries. He was here from 10am on the 19th, to 2pm on the 20th, so he didn't stay long! But in that time he graciously gave two 3-hour long demonstrations, and a 2 hour lecture for us to enjoy and learn from. In his time he completed 2 portraits. The first portrait he probably spent 4 hours, the second 2 hours. He explained that he worked differently for us during the demo than he does on his large personal work. He worked fast and painted wet on wet for the demo.

         After the demo today I brought him to the MSUM Roland Dille Center for the Arts Gallery to show him my work that was on exhibit for the Faculty/Student show. He said he was impressed with the skill in my paintings, and hoped I would come to study at the New York Academy of Arts, where he teaches, for graduate school. We will see I guess!! :D You can see how excited I was in my picture.

Assael and I while viewing my work at the MSUM Gallery

I was checking out a small piece Assael brought in during the demo


 Portrait of Anna by Steven Assael done for the MSUM demonstration October 19th & 20th 2010. 4 Hours






 Portrait of Sonia by Steven Assael done for the MSUM demonstration October 20th 2010. 2 Hours


The painting studio was silent as he worked masterfully on his work. He shared insightful information about pallet management, brushes, painting surfaces, and mediums. But the most important knowledge to me was gathered just by watching him work. I better get to painting! I have a lot to try out!

1 comment:

  1. I love your middle portrait very much.
    Renate M Reuter
    Portrait and Figure Painters Society of SW FL, Inc

    ReplyDelete